When our beloved animals are very ill, or have already left their physical bodies, it can be quite meaningful and healing to connect with them at the deepest level of their soul, to communicate with them from the deepest level of our emotional hearts.
To begin, arrange a period of undisturbed time-– perhaps ten to fifteen minutes, or more if you like. Even one minute of such intimate connection is enough to soothe and bring deep peace to both of you.
You do not need to be physically near your animals who are still physically on earth in order to connect with and talk with them. In fact, sometimes it is easier to be off by ourselves, not distracted by their beauty and our love of their form, which can keep us focused on the physical rather than the soul. It might also keep us focused on their illness which can trigger worry or grief. However, if it feels more comforting or appropriate for you to be with your animals, then by all means be by their side. Just be sure to make the intention that you wish to connect with their soul at this time, not primarily with their body or personality. Of course, the energy of their personalty may come through in a telepathic conversation, and, information about their body may be something you seek or your animal wants to talk with you about.
The point is that what we need to focus on in telepathic connection goes far beyond the body and the personality. In telepathy, we are not reading the body or experiencing their personality to collect information about our animals from some distant, detached vantage point; we are connecting with their souls to talk with them intimately. If your animal is no longer on the earth, the same principle is true. If holding a photograph (or other sacred physical item like a collar, fur or urn) comforts you, by all means keep it with you for this process. Just remember that nothing physical is necessary to make a telepathic connection. What is important is to make the intention to connect with your animal’s soul which transcends physicality and personality.
Read through the following steps to become familiar with them. Then, jot down a phrase for each step on your phone or small piece of paper to have a reminder with you as you go through the process.
- Sit quietly and comfortably. Become aware of your breathing, just aware of it, in and out, with no need to change it in any way. Just allow yourself to sit quietly, becoming aware of your breathing.
- Let yourself begin to relax. Give yourself permission to relax, and begin releasing any tension in your body and mind. Picture and feel any tension, worry or stress leaving you— from your head down through your feet, just gently being released. Ask your spirit guides or all those you pray to, to help you with this. Let the feeling of peaceful relaxation go on for a few moments or minutes—for as long as it feels comfortable or right to do so.
- Hold one or both of your hands over your heart, and picture a beautiful, luminous gold chord of love connecting you and your animal, a chord connecting the two of you, a chord from your heart to theirs. Let yourself gently smile picturing this–this perfect and eternal connection between you and your animal that nothing can ever, ever break. The love between you has not and never will be diminished or break. The connection between you will never be diminished or break. The chord of love connecting you transcends physical death and all time.
- Feel and bask in the love between you. You know this love so well. The love between you that transcends everything–it is bigger than illness, bigger than death, bigger than grief, bigger than any pain. Let yourself just melt into the love that you share. Feel the perfection of the love–beyond bodies, beyond time, beyond place or circumstance, just your two souls melded together in your love. Let this fill you with gentle peacefulness and deep calm.
- If you cry, just let the tears come. Know that the great love you share exists right along with tears. Let grace begin to heal any sadness or fear, and allow the greatness of your shared love to begin to bring healing to any tears, whenever they may flow. Allow the presence of grace to come into you. Feel yourself being carried above all worry, grief or concern, even for the brief time of this connection.
- And now, from this place of connection with the soul of your beloved animal, this place of stillness and grace, begin talking with your animal, easily and naturally right from your heart. Say what you need to say, or ask what you need to ask. Then just quietly listen. The responses you receive may come in words, or they may come in feelings or images. They may also come in any combination of these things. Just listen, and stay with the calmness and glory of the love and the grace between you. Say all else you need to say, and know without a doubt that whatever you may receive or not receive, your animal will receive your messages.
When we connect in love, when we ask and listen and speak with love, it is impossible for our animal to not receive our messages. And for the moments that we meditate and communicate in this love together, no matter how much emotional pain of worry, sadness or grief there may be within us, when we stay in the love, even for a few minutes, the heaviness of grief and worry is diminished. The healing of those moments becomes part of us, the the power of grief to devastate us is lessened. And we are more free to support our animal and ourselves.
As you leave the quiet, peaceful telepathic connection, you may continue to receive messages (in words, feelings or images) as you go through your days and nights. When they come, do not doubt them; know they are real. If it would help you to ask your animal to help you feel confidence in the truth of the messages, ask them for signs of confirmation. When you are truly open to this, it will come. The more we take ourselves to that calm place of shared love that lies inside of us, the more likely it is that we will perceive our animal’s messages.
If you didn’t receive a big, bold, clear or dramatic message, if your experience was simply one of quiet peace, grace and love as you connected, that is just as meaningful, healing and significant as a conversation with words. There is no right or wrong in how such a meditative connection unfolds. As long as our intention is to connect in love, we will be led to the experience we are meant to have.
May you experience many, many moments of being present with your animal loved ones, both when they are here and when they leave the earth, and may those experiences bring you peace and grace.
• A longer version of this meditation to help us connect with our animals after death is available as an MP3 download
• More support for loss and grief can be found on the Animals In Our Hearts web site
• Introduction to Telepathic Animal Communication on demand class